Good coffee around the world
During my various travels, I had a chance to enjoy some very good cups of coffee. I like light acidic fruity dripped coffee, and thick acidic espressos. Here is a list of the best coffee shops I've been to. I probably missed some good places in these cities, so feel free to leave a comment.
Jump to: Paris, Berlin, London, Toulouse, Barcelona, Portland, Toronto, Taipei, Tainan.
- To me, the best coffee shop in town is Le Loustic, in the 3rd arrondissement. Dripped coffee, espresso and iced coffee are the best.
- The Télescope , in the 1st arrondissement, next to the famous "Rue St Anne", is a pretty small place. I highly recommend the espresso there.
- Ten Belle in the 10th arrondissement is located right next to the Canal Saint-Martin. Get a dripped coffee or an espresso, find a bench next to the canal, and enjoy your coffee.
- Café Coutume , in the 7th arrondissement is a nice place too (but way too crowded).
- The Barn is where I discovered and learned about coffee. They now have 2 establishments, the coffee shop and the roastery. They are both located in Mitte. Enjoy their selection of dripped coffee, and their delicious Latte.
- 5 Elephants is a roastery located in Kreuzberg. Dripped coffee is best, and you might want to buy some beans there too.
- I never had a chance to really look for good coffee shops in London, but one I really like is called New Row Coffee, next to Leicester square.
- Cute place located in the center of the city: La Fiancée. Try the Siphon coffee, with one of their homemade cookies.
- El Café Magnífico has a very large choice of beans. They will take the time to brew the beans with the device of your choice, and serve the coffee in large glasses. Try the espresso (usually, they'll offer you a shot if you buy their beans), but expect something a bit lighter than what you would find in other places in Europe.
- Dripped coffee from Heart is *really* delicious. Reminds me of the coffee at Ten Belle in Paris. They have two shops in town.
- Sense Appeal. Of course! Delicious coffee. Large choice of beans and brew methods.
Alright. Let me tell you right away: the best coffee I ever had was in Taiwan. Both dripped and espresso.
- Artista Perfetto is a hidden gem located next to SYS memorial hall, and, to me, they make the best espresso ever! It fits my taste perfectly, very oily and acidic. Enjoy your cup on the terrasse.
- At La Belle Coffee (used to be "Georges House"), next to Daan park, expect a surreal tasting experience. They will spend the time to tell you how to drink their coffee. They will serve the same coffee in different type of cups to play with the various way to cool down the coffee. Coffee is delicious, and the staff is very very friendly. Highly recommended for any coffee lover.
- Special mention for Mugong Living, a guest house in Tainan (south of Taiwan). Just drop by, and ask for a coffee. The lovely owner will prepare some delicious sweet Malaysian coffee with sweet brioche. Zen and delicious.