How to upgrade a ZTE Open C (French/Europe/US versions)
Update: most of the following instructions are outdated. Please read this: http://builds.firefoxos.mozfr.org/doc/en/devices/zte-open-c
Step 1 (rooting) is necessary only once. Step 2 (upgrading) can be done everytime you want to upgrade Firefox OS. If you want to save your data, use this tool: https://github.com/Mozilla-TWQA/B2G-flash-tool/blob/master/backup_restore_profile.sh. Sadly, this only works if your device is already rooted (so it can be done only after step 1).
I use Windows for part 1 (required), and Linux or Mac for part 2. I never tried part 2 with Windows.
Before anything: Install ADB and fastboot on your computer.
1. Root the phone (Windows required)
Where did you buy your phone:
- france? Use this link: http://www.ztefrance.com/downloads/Pack_root_du_ZTE_Open_C.zip. Two zip files in one zip file: the update tool and the ROM;
- europe or US? http://en.comebuy.com/developer-firefox-os-open-c.html. Two zip files to download: the update tool and the ROM.
Open_C_upgrade_Tool, flash the ROM. Common issue if it fails:
- make sure your phone is charged (at least 10%)
- remove SIM card and sdcard
- make sure to select the right ROM directory
Normally, now your phone is unlocked. To check, type: "adb shell id". If it says "root", good. If it says "shell", it didn't work. If "adb" doesn't work on Linux, you need to add a udev rule (google: "udev adb").
2. flash the version of Gecko and Gaia you want
The Open C is compatible with Mozilla's reference phone: The Flame. So you just need to download and flash Flame's builds: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/ (no need to build B2G or Gaia yourself).
At the moment, I recommend Firefox OS 2.1: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora-flame/
b2g-34.0a2.en-US.android-arm.tar.gz (gecko) and
Download the flash script: https://github.com/Mozilla-TWQA/B2G-flash-tool/blob/master/shallow_flash.sh
On Mac and Cygwin:
./shallow_flash.sh -g gaia.zip -G b2g-XX.XX.en-US.android-arm.tar.gz
./shallow_flash.sh -ggaia.zip -Gb2g-XX.XX.en-US.android-arm.tar.gz
Then, if your fonts look funky, use this: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/ZTE_OPEN_C#Font_fix